The Immense Power of Cloud Computing

SOASTA CloudTest

Subscribe to SOASTA CloudTest: eMailAlertsEmail Alerts newslettersWeekly Newsletters
Get SOASTA CloudTest: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn

SOASTA Authors: SOASTA Blog, AppDynamics Blog, Mehdi Daoudi, Jason Bloomberg, Mahesh Kulkarni

Blog Post

We Earned Success This Day

Back at it on the second day of a three day trip, we were ready for action


Gander Mountain

Click on the banner and check out the buys from Gander Mountain


Back at it on the second day of a three day trip, we were ready for action.  After dining at excellent restaurants in Pierre, a good motel, and a night's rest, we were ready to fish.  The weather had greatly improved and settled down with light and variable winds out of the southwest.  They were just where we wanted them.

On the lake by 7:30 AM, we took a slow moving tour over half the lake on each side to see if we would graph fish.  It looked promising.  Where we did not graph fish the day before, we were starting to show some suspended fish in around 6 to 8 feet of water with most of them lying in about two to three feet from the bottom.  Suspended fish are feeding fish and this was what we wanted.

Berkley Flicker Shad Crankbaits


Berkley Flicker Shad Crankbaits

This is the lure to own.  Click on the link or pic to buy from Bass Pro.  Multiple colors and sizes provides a lot of options for different conditions.

After hooking up the Berkley Flickr Shad, we began working some of the spots we had missed before.  Sure enough, we started seeing some action.  Most of the fish were below fifteen inches and were promptly thrown back, but periodically we would pick up a keeper.

Around 11 AM we hit a time period for about an hour when it was 10 minutes for each of us between each fish we hauled in.  We were the only boat on the lake, and this was a good thing for us as we had it all to ourselves.  Just a note about this lake.  We never met any people other than locals that were fishing it.  They were always most helpful and knowledgeable about the area.  I need to point out that the weather was anything but stable.  Right before we had our bonanza, the temperature became much warmer and very very humid.  We both commented about how the weather kept changing during the day on this trip.  This was not stability we were experiencing.

Pam nailed a really nice white bass.


It just turned off around 12:30 PM and we continued to fish for about 30 minutes more.  We had a daily limit for both of us with a few white bass thrown in and one really nice northern pike.  We will take all the northern  pike we can get.  All you need to do is take out the Y bones and you have a great fillet.  Watch the video below and it will show you how to get out the bones.

Not bad for a mornings work.


After cleaning up the mess of fish, we went to town to get some lunch and put the fish in the freezer.  If they turned on again, we wanted to be there to catch and release.  We were limited out for the day.


(Click on the link above to see the video on taking out the Y bones on a northern)


Back on the lake by 3 PM, the wind had turned to the northwest, and the temperature had dropped a lot.  It must have been a 10 degree drop because Pam put on a light weight jacket.  We were catching nothing.  To the north of Pierre it became very black very quickly and then the blackness spread out.  The wind moved to the northeast and really began to blow.  We could see streaks of white coming down out of the clouds.  We both were concerned that the weather pattern was moving south, but it stayed on a southeasterly course and missed us.  We got the boat to the ramp, tied up and just sat there waiting for the wind to go down and the system to pass.

Bass Pro Shops Stainless Steel Hook Remover


Bass Pro Shops Stainless Steel Hook Remover

This tool is a must for my boat.  With all the little treble hooks with plug you need something to peel out the hooks and not out of your fingers.  Click on the pic or link to buy from Bass Pro.



After about an hour, we went back out on the lake even though it was still quite choppy.  We fished for another hour with nothing happening.  On the news that evening, we found out there was hail to the north of Pierre and two tornadoes had touched down.  Still with all the changes in the weather yesterday and today, we had a limit of fish.

Good hunting, good fishing, and good luck.  Hank.





More Stories By Hank Huntington

Hank Huntington, Esq., is a native of southwest Iowa, healthcare professional, entrepreneur, accomplished pilot, hunting and fishing enthusiast, connoisseur, father and husband. He developed this web site for people to share their fun and excitement about the great outdoors. The best part of this hobby is, after a successful hunting or fishing trip, you are able to dine on fresh game or fish, after all, “ How do you eat a golf ball?” asks Hank. Hanks father and grandfather were both avid outdoorsmen so Hank learned his hunting and fishing skills from them and has passed the tradition down to the fourth generation. Plus the love of the outdoors, and a craving for exquisite dinning, would round out the package.

As a small boy, he fished a local oxbow lake formed by the Missouri River. The lake is primarily old river bottom mud, is not real clear, and has a lot of vegetation. The southeast corner holds a huge lily pad bed, and it was there Hank learned to drag through the water and across the tops of the pads, a Johnson Silver Minnow, with a pork rind attached. This was the place for big mouth bass, and there were lots of them, and young Hank loved to catch them.

At age of 12 Hank started going with his Dad hunting, and by age 14 he was an accomplished shooter with a 12-gauge pump. Shortly after that he was given his first shotgun a Winchester Model 12 pump; he still has it today. It looks like almost new, but the gun is never to be hunted again. Duck hunting in the late 50’s had little pressure after the first two weeks of the season, and when the north wind blew and it got really damp and cold, the big Canada Mallards came.

After graduation from high school, Hank attended Midland College in Fremont, Nebraska. There he met a fellow outdoorsman, and their friendship developed in the fields and streams of central Nebraska.

Hank had little time for hunting and fishing while attending professional school at Creighton University. After graduation he married his college sweetheart and they settled down to career, family, and as often as possible, hunting and fishing.

Hank and his family frequently flew their plane north to Canada to the legendary Canadian fly in lodges to fish for Northern and Walleye. Here he taught his son all the things his father had taught him about fishing. Most of the time the two went alone to the north woods, but when camping was not involved, his wife Pam went along. She always enjoys the fact that she has caught a bigger Northern Pike than Hank, and he has been fishing for 60 years. Today along the Missouri River valley, the deer population increased to the point that in many areas they are a nuisance. The duck, goose, and turkey has also population have also soared.

Area lakes have been well stocked. Many even have a walleye stocking program that makes outstanding fishing. Several are within easy driving distance of Hank’s lodge-like lakeside home. All packaged together is great dining. By the way, Hank harvests only what he will share at a table with family or friends.

Hank says, “Whenever I am on a lake, in the woods, or in the blind, I am always reminded of God’s great bounty and His constant presence. And whether in the great outdoors or at home with my wife, I strive to be a good steward of nature and all that God has given us.”

Good hunting! Good fishing! Good day!